Description : Description: The Edgecombe County Manager’s Office is accepting applications for a full-time Director of the Health Department. This position performs complex executive work. The work involves planning, directing, supervising, and coordinating public health programs. It also entails oversight of the preparation and maintenance of an annual budget that exceeds $6 million, and the direct and indirect supervision of a staff of approximately 85 employees. Work is under the general direction of the Human Services Director.
- Establish and administer programs as mandated by the local Edgecombe County Human Services Board and the State of North Carolina in conformance of North Carolina General Statutes 13-A Public Health and the Edgecombe County Code of Ordinances.
- Identify aspects of health status requiring improvement and promote and promulgate programs/activities which will improve the health status of the community.
- Maintain ongoing liaison among the governing body, professional advisors, and agency staff.
- Implement an effective business plan.
- Ensure the accuracy of public information. Implement acceptable budgeting and accounting practices.
- Employ appropriate personnel to deliver quality services.
- Inform the Edgecombe County Human Services Board of local needs and make recommendations for regulations and actions which will assist them in fulfilling their mission.
- Solicit and gain support for those activities and programs from local government, employers, and public institutions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of efficient administration, including public relations, regulations, local ordinances, personnel administration, budgeting, accounting, and office management. Must have strong fiscal management skills and excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills. General knowledge of social, medical, and economic factors of the community served. Ability to plan, coordinate, and direct a staff of technical and medically related personnel. Ability to interpret and apply laws and policies to specific problems relating to agency activities. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with agency personnel, county officials, and the general public.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in public health administration and at least one year of employment experience in health programs or health services; or a master’s degree in a public health discipline other than public health administration and at least three years of administration and at least two years experience in health programs or health services; or a master’s degree in public administration and at least two years experience in health programs or health services; or a master’s degree in a field related to public health and at least three years of experience in health programs or health services; or a bachelor’s degree in public health administration or public administration and at least three years experience in health programs or health services.We are seeking candidates who also have experience in supervision, public health, financial management (budgeting) or health organizations, team management, and experience working with local boards.
Special Requirements: Valid driver's license in the State of North Carolina.
Residency Requirement: This department head level position must live in or establish residency within Edgecombe County within twelve months of the date of hire.Salary: The salary range for this position begins at $78,463. The starting pay may be higher depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate. The county offers excellent benefits that total over $11,000 annually.
Contact: Apply for this position
Deadline for Applying: Open until filled.
Click here for the full job description
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled