Economic Services

Notice of Your Rights Under Hawkins v Cohen - English
Notice of Your Rights Under Hawkins v Cohen - SpanishMedicaid

Medicaid is a program that pays medical bills for eligible low income people who can not afford the cost of health care.  The program costs are paid by federal, state and county taxes.  No money is paid to the client.  The eligible client gets a Medicaid identification card through the mail to show the doctor, druggist, etc.  The doctor or other health care providers then send his bill to the state and the state pays the provider for the services.

How to Apply:   Applications are taken during the hours of 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for the Tarboro or Rocky Mount Branch offices.

What you will need:  Medical Bills, Previous Months Pay Stubs/Verification of Income, Life Insurance Policies, Most Recent Bank Statements, Social Security Cards, Medicare Cards, Health Insurance Cards, Vehicle Registration, Deeds to any Property, Alien-INS documentation.

NC Medicaid Transformation to Managed Care
The new NC Medicaid Managed Care goes into effect July 1, 2021. Click here for an important fact sheet for Medicaid recipients and for providers. Visit the NC DHHS website for more information. 
Food & Nutrition ProgramThe Food & Nutrition Program provides monthly benefits that help low-income households buy the food they need for good health.  If the household meets the program’s eligibility tests, the amount of food stamps received will also depend on the number of people in the household and on the amount of monthly income left after certain deductions are subtracted. Food stamps are spent like cash at most stores that sell food.  Food stamps may only be used for food and for plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat.

How to Apply:  Applications are taken during the hours of 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for the Tarboro or Rocky Mount Branch offices.

What you will need:  Previous Months Pay Stubs/Verification of Income, Most Recent Bank Statements, Social Security Cards, Identification, Utility Bills, Most Recent Bank Statements, Proof of Residence, Proof of Shelter Expenses, Alien-INS documentation.
Work First Family AssistanceThe Work First Family Assistance Unit takes and processes applications for cash assistance, maintains a caseload of on-going recipients of Work First Family Assistance by redetermining eligibility, completing changes in client cases, and making referrals to other units or agencies when appropriate.  The unit takes and process applications for AFDC-Emergency Assistance for families who are in an emergency situation.

How to Apply:  Applications are taken during the hours of 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for the Tarboro or Rocky Mount Branch offices.

What you will need:  Birth Certificates, Social Security Cards, Identification, Previous Months Pay Stubs, Health Insurance Card, Most Recent Bank Statements, Life Insurance Policies, Alien-INS documentation.  The names, addresses, date of birth, and social security number of Absent Parent.
Work First ProgramThe Work First Program focuses parents on getting a job and taking personal responsibility for themselves, their children and their community.  The Work First program helps families move to independence and sufficiency.

Components of the Work First Program

Subsidized Child Care Program
  • Education below the Post-Secondary Level
  • Post-Secondary Education
  • Job Readiness
  • On-The-Job Training
  • Job Search
  • Job Development and Placement
  • Job Skills Training
  • Work Experience
  • Job Follow Up
  • Temporary Assistance Program
Day Care Program
Childcare services provides information to parents about identifying and locating an appropriate and quality childcare arrangement to meet the family needs, financial assistance to pay for actual childcare, or special assistance such as that needed for a special needs child. Childcare social workers are available to provide assistance to a variety of childcare providers. A provider may be a relative, an individual who has a registered in-home day care, day care center, or may be located at a school or Head Start site.

Childcare assistance is offered to parents who are employed, in school or a combination of both; and children who may be in the custody of DSS or parents who may not be receiving any services from DSS based on need and income.

For more information, please contact:


         Income Maintenance Program Administrator:
Denise McKnight 252-985-5090
          Adult Medicaid Supervisors:
Tarboro:  Angel Joyner @ 252-641-7970 
          Rocky Mount: Virginia Ewuell (Interim) @ 252-985-5089

          Family & Children Medicaid Supervisors:
          Tarboro: Tina Radford @ 252-641-7697
          Rocky Mount: Veronica Lyons @ 252-985-5067

          Food and Nutrition Services Supervisors:
         Tarboro: Linda Jackson @ 252-641-7640
         Rocky Mount: Donna Barnes @ 252-985-5082
          Work First Employment / Work First Family Assistance (WFFA) / Daycare Supervisors:
          Tarboro: Narkeisha Bryant @ 252-641-1901
          Rocky Mount: Lynda Kennedy @ 252-985-5081
          Quality Assurance Supervisors:
          Tarboro: Kenisha Wiggins @ 252-641-7635
          Rocky Mount: Vacant @ 252-985-

           Child Support Supervisors:
           Tarboro: Synilla Reaves @ 252-641-7955
           Rocky Mount: Helyn Walston @ 252-985-5031

          For more Child Protective Services (CPS) information, please contact:
Social Work Program Manager:
           Anna Davis Perry: 252-641-7988

           Child Protective Services Supervisors:
           Vacant, CPS Intake & Investigations @ 252-641-7672
           Chester Brown Jr., CPS Investigations @ 252-641-6670
           Keoshea Dickens, Adoptions and Foster Home Licensing @ 252-641-7982
           Yvonne Winston, Permanency Planning @ 252-641-1014
            Adult Protective Services Supervisor:
Jonah Williams @ 252-641-7691

 Edgecombe County Department of Social Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in employment or in the provision of services.