Child Support Division
The Child Support Department of the Clerk’s office is contained within the Civil Division and is generally responsible for the maintenance of court records regarding child support cases.
Edgecombe County Child Support Enforcement is part of the Edgecombe County Department of Social Services and is responsible for
- Noncustodial parent location
- Establishment of Paternity
- Establishment of child support/medical support obligations
- Collection and distribution of child support monies
- Enforcement of Child Support Orders
All Child Support is paid to the North Carolina Centralized Collection Agency (Contact Number 1-800-992-9457). Recipients may have payments sent by debit cards or direct deposit.
Payments are split (by proration) between all cases if payor has more than one court ordered child support obligation sent through the North Carolina centralized collections.
The Child Support Department of the Clerk’s office performs the following:
- Maintains all court records in child support collection cases
- Collects support from payor by:
- direct withholding of child support from payor's income
- court actions
- Affirms paternity by adding the father's name to the birth certificate when the paternity is not recorded on the birth certificate.
- Fee is $6.00.
- Need copy of the birth certificate and social security card for the child
- Both parents (mother and father) must be present
For more information regarding child support in North Carolina, please visit the Department of Health & Human Services Child Support website at:
If you would like more information regarding the Child Support Department, you may visit the Child Support Department at the Edgecombe County Clerk of Court.